DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: March 9, 2018
POSITION: Full Time
LOCATION: Bharatpur Metropolitan City -15, Fulbari, Chitwan, Nepal
CONTRACT DATE: Immediate
The Institute for Social and Environmental Research Nepal (ISER-N) is a non-governmental, non-profit, independent research and development organization. ISER-N aims to enhance understanding of Nepal’s social and environmental problems through rigorous scientific research. ISER-N is designed to provide the personnel and infrastructure to implement large-scale, social and environmental research projects. ISER-N collaborates with several universities and research organizations around the world, therefore the ISER-N code of conduct is governed by international quality standards. Over the past 20 years, ISER-N has developed a tremendous wealth of setting-specific research protocols, technical tools, financial and administrative procedures and systems. Each year, ISER-N employs up to 150 staff members and conducts 3-6 different large-scale research projects funded by agencies such as the National Institutes of Health USA, the National Science Foundation USA, the National Institute of Environmental Health Science (NIEHS), USA, and the Department of International Development (DFID) UK. ISER-N is seeking to immediately fill the open position of Finance Officer.
The Finance Officer (FO) is responsible for ISER-N’s Finance Department, to ensure smooth financial, accounting and administration operations including the development of standard financial systems and procedures for the organization as well as for ISER-N’s international collaborators. The FO will report directly to the Executive Director of ISER-N. Overall responsibilities include:
- Ensure effective and efficient account and financial management in compliance with ISER-N’s financial policy, standards and procedures.
- Facilitate integrated financial planning, budgeting and monitoring in accordance with the financial guidelines of ISER-N.
- Assist ISER-N Executive Director with preparation of budgets for proposals, subcontracts, and agreements with sponsors and partners; acquire government approvals; post-award disbursement; and overall financial management across sponsored projects.
- Ensure standard record keeping and prepare and submit reports to sponsors and funding agencies on time.
- Maintain high confidentiality of documents and information, and take adequate measures for safety and security of documents, information and other resources.
- Prepare, examine, and analyze accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Make cash payments and bank transfers to all vendors, suppliers, and consultants on a timely basis.
- Keep track of all financial records, both in relation to petty cash and other regular project expenses.
- Make careful, detailed accounting entries in an on-line tool.
- Handle petty cash and complete weekly reconciliation.
- Handle TAX clearance and other compliances with Government and other concerned departments.
- Reconcile staff payment advances.
- Administer employee files and personnel records (such as staff contracts, leave reports, training, time sheets, travel, and termination paperwork)in order to ensure accurate payment of benefits and allowances. Provide appropriate support on procurements, maintain the Assets and Inventory list, and supervise the inventory of store items.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities, ensuring that all bills submitted by staff are legitimate and correct.
- Monitor project field sites for internal audit, maintenance of proper books of accounts, and fund management by collaborating partners.
- Perform other duties as instructed by the Executive Director.
- Arrange for fund transfer to vendors following procedures and services as per Financial Guidelines.
- Prepare documents and ensure that partner payments follow appropriate format and approval, and match expected budget projections.
Reporting & Documentation
- Prepare monthly financial statements for all projects.
- Assist Executive Director with budget planning along with forecasting of the same and reporting.
- Monitor and ensure project and administrative spending are in line with agreed budgets; work with project management staff to identify potential project under- or over-expenditures.
- Assist Executive Director with preparing regular financial reports, customized periodic reports, invoices and submit all in a timely manner.
- Provide regular updates to the Executive Director on all finance-related matters.
Financial Management and Audit
- Act as the main ISER-N contact with banks, and carry out monthly reconciliation of existing bank accounts.
- Assist Executive Director with the annual financial audit preparation, coordination, and finalization process.
- Identify cost saving opportunities where possible, and work together with the ISER-N senior management team on all cost saving measures.
- B.A. degree in business with an emphasis in either accounting or finance or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience managing a finance unit including complex financial analysis, forecasting, and budgeting; expert knowledge of financial systems and processes.
- English language fluency in both verbal and written communication.
- Expert knowledge of contracts administration.
- Expert skills in financial data analysis, with an understanding of relational databases and systems and design analysis.
- Experience working with relational databases, Excel, Access, SQL Server Management Studio.
- Work well with all levels of management.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising staff.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and accurately present analyses and findings; ability to consult on analysis findings to inform organizational processes and decision making.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and to efficiently delegate.
- Able to understand and apply basic statistics.
- M.A. degree in finance or accounting.
- Expert knowledge of computerized financial systems and processes including TALLY.
- Experience in a research project based environment.
- Expert skills in data analysis, understanding relational databases and systems and design analysis.
This job description serves as a guide for the available position ISER-N reserves the right to alter job responsibilities with the evolving needs of the Institute.
Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of ISER-N’s work, we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. We will close this vacancy as soon as we have identified the right candidate, which may be before the anticipated closing date. We therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with relevant experience and existing ISER-N salary scales.
ISER-N is an equal opportunity employer and will welcome applications from competent persons from all sections of the community.
Applicants for this position are required to submit:
- A letter of application stating why you feel you are suitable for this position,
- Two letters of recommendation, and
- A current curriculum vitae highlighting the projects/programs worked on of a similar nature.
Note: Candidates must submit applications by 5 PM, 28th March 2018. E-mail all application materials in a single PDF file to [email protected] with “FINANCE OFFICER” in the subject box. Candidates wish to submit hard copy must send all application materials in a single envelope to Institute’s postal address given below.
Due to the volume of applicants expected, only short listed candidates will be contacted for assessment and interview. Attempt for any kind of undue influence will automatically disqualify the application. Please do not attempt contact by phone or personal visit. Application received after the deadline will not be considered.
Institute for Social and Environmental Research-Nepal
P.O. Box 57